Thursday, July 10, 2008

Yesterday I woke up in Philly, now I live in Africa

Helloooo all!!

So after sitting around JFK airport for awhile, then finally getting to check our tons of luggage, we made our way to Dakar, Senegal- then connected to Conakry, Guinea. We arrived in Guinea early this morning (with maybe having slept 1 hour or so on the plane)

There was a delightful PC welcoming party to greet us in Conakry! A bunch of current volunteers, our Country Director (CD) and other admins were all there in PC shirts to greet us and help with our baggage. And then, naturally we all loaded into a giant bus to take about the 15 inute drive to the PC house. Which is quite nice. There's the building with all the offices and meeting rooms, then the PC house which has all the bunk beds we'll be sleeping in until Monday morning.

Food's been good. Weather's been hot and sometimes rainy. Everyone is getting along really well and we have a really good group! The old PCVs that are still in country are helping us out a lot and giving us the scoop on most of what we're about to go through. More sessions and shots (in the arm) tomorrow I think as well as some other things!

Doing really well and though I had that brief moment when I woke up in Philly and thought to myself, "What the hell am I doing, moving to Africa?" I'm passed that, and know I'm where I'm supposed to be! I'm really looking forward to learning all I can about the cities and the country in general as well as all the people!

Love you all and miss you terribly! They took our picture today (looking deathly) to send out, so hopefully you (mom and dad) will get that at some point! Check out friendsofguinea.org too!

Love you guys keep in touch! gotta go pass out now, since it's been a ridiculously long day and a half of minimal sleep on the planes!

<3

3 comments:

Old Time Tom said...

Terrific! So happy you have such a great attitude! Also happy you had some moments of doubt, shows you are really smart. love you, Honeyg & Popop

mom said...

I'm so very proud of you and I'm so glad for your update, as I was sharing your doubt yesterday when we spoke. It was a rough day for me, too. You ARE where you are supposed to be, and you always seem to know that. Just wish it was closer to where we are supposed to be. Take care, enjoy your new friends and comrades and post as often as you can.

Love you tons,
mom
and you know dad and Jake feel the same. Oh, and John and Alice are here playing WII, trying to keep us surrounded by you.

Unknown said...

You bet your butt we were playing Wii!

...Although I think you were the source of my bowling power...I'm horrible now. No joke. Send me good thoughts...

Can't wait for the next update.