Sunday, July 13, 2008

Tomorrow we get adopted!

So yesterday (Saturday) was one of my best days I think so far. Things were just fun and went really well. We started learning Susu survival language to help us get ready for our homestays and that was awesome. Got out of sessions early so a couple of us went to the beach (not like the lay-out and sunbathe kind of beach) with a frisbee and football (american) and started throwing them around. Eventually a bunch of kids joined in which was awesome and I met a few of them that spoke French. One was really cool and his dad is in Portugal for some reason I don't know. There were also two kids who live in Philly that were there and kind of bratty. But oh well.

So that was great fun, got really sweaty and dirty, showered, ate dinner, then went to the roof for the sunset. A-mazing. Then stayed up there and chatted a bit, before going to the other roof to have a few Guinean beers with everyone before calling it quits.

Been a bit woozy today, hoping it passes before our trip tomorrow to our homestay adoption ceremony. Supposedly one of the most awkward experiences we'll have throughout our 2 years. Should add for some great stories.

Had more sessions today and our first session with just other TEFL teachers (english teachers) and we're having our own little elite table at the beach bar tonight to just hang out with current TEFl volunteers and get to know them better. Should be good times.

Gotta run to another homestay orientation session now tho, so keep in touch, and hopefully I can update soon, but I kind of doubt it!

7/14- adoption ceremony
8/1- we find out our site assignments
8/14-20- site visits
9/26- swearing in ceremony!


that's all the big things coming up! love you all!

<3

12 comments:

mom said...

Hey, how are Guinean beers? Thinking of you. Take care, and awkward won't last for long. Love you, mom

Unknown said...

Well i was also going to ask how the beers were!! I love the updates and you can handle ANY awk situation much better than anyone i know so it wont be too bad. But good luck with everything and keep the updates coming! LOVE AND MISS YOU!
~Alice

Unknown said...

Hmm I was going to ask about the bratty Philly kids....kidding. Sounds like all is going well. Show your fam a good time and keep us posted!

J

Old Time Tom said...

Boy, you know how to start out, trying local beers! Good all voer the world! And your relating to kids so easily, good sign. Kids are our future. Hope woozy goes away quick. I can't see you not handling awkward situations, keep shining, and enjoy. Love, Honeyg & Popop

PuhFENDT said...

You get sworn in on my birthday, how cute.
I'm glad you're enjoying yourself, and it sucks I can't tell you face to face all the dumb things I did in Europe. But I'll let you know one -> I meant to say to a German Cashier 'danka' which means thanks, but I instead went with 'donkey' which means donkey, in english.
I also plan to start writing my daily letters soon so be on the lookout ;)
dave

scottybrewster said...

Rachel,
Have you run into any of Lou's Relatives over there. The kids are real excited about your adventure. Please let us know where to send care packages. Drew and Hannah would love any pictures if you can post/email them. We miss you.
Beth Scott Drew and Hannah

Unknown said...

Sounds like you are having a great time. Let me know whne I can send you a care package.

david santos said...

Hello, Rachel!
I loved this post and this blog.
Have a nice day.

mom said...

In case anyone reads comments, I'll update for Rachel. Just got off the phone and she sounds wonderfully happy. Her family consists of a mom, three younger brothers (one a baby still nursing) and two little sisters. There's a dad, as well, but he works in Konakry so is sporadically there. Her hotel roommate in Philly (Tiffany) is her next door neighbor right now so they were meant to meet. She expects she'll be able to update her blog next weekend or the following. She gets her long term assignment next Friday but knows it's in the Fouga region and she knows a few other PCV's in education in same area. Eats well, really sounded great and happy. She's off to the dance tonight. Hello to all, from Rachel, aka Binta. updated by her mom.

mom said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Binta, as you're known these days, I've been thinking about you alot and I hope your doing well. Can you explain to me the interesting rules about sending "french" things to Guinea? the USPS website says there are some pretty harsh restrictions on anything even looking french. did you take your flag? you better watch out. they hate the french apparently. love you, miss you,
allie

Unknown said...

Hope everything is going well with you Rach, update us when you get internet!