Friday, July 31, 2009

"She didn't invite me to her peanuts, so..."

So in Guinea, we end up saying a lot of things in English that one would NEVER understand or say in any other place. For example, whenever anyone eats anything here, if there are other people around, you always say "invitation" to offer your food to whoever is around. Generally, expecting a decline, but still politely offering as a nice gesture. It becomes like a mandatory thing and people tease you about being rude if you forget or don't offer.

So two days ago, Conor was talking about one of the girls at our girls conference and said, "She didn't invite me to her peanuts, soooo I don't know about her." But the sentence just made us all crack up, because honestly, who would ever say that?? Another good one was "Oh maybe we can get her something nice, like from the gas station." In all seriousness, gas stations are where you get better (american like) snacks and stuff, so we consider it "nice." Pretty amusing. Some things just don't translate.

Anyway- so the last month... We welcomed the new group of education trainees!! Yay!! So G18 is in country now and our education volunteer family has grown! I got to go to the airport with some others to welcome them off the plane, so that was awesome. One of them will be another new "neighbor" about 15 k from my site, so that's exciting too!

I haven't had much to do at my town since school ended, but I've been in and out with conferences and travelling, etc. I hoed my whole front "yard" and got blisters ALL over my hands. My right hand was essentially one big blister. My yard looks much classier now and less jungle-like.

We had a "ceremony" to announce the results of the school year. And because of numbers and lack of space to keep having ginormous classes, the admin went down to 7 out of 20 for passing for some of the grades. THIRTY FIVE PERCENT. If you got 35 percent, you passed onto the next grade. Mind you, 50 percent is actually passing, so it's a little different from our standards, but still. Unfortunately I know they need the space, but at the same time it will just perpetuate a sub-par level for that large amount of students.

I went to my first wedding last week. It was a traditional wedding and it was a good time. I hung out with all the ladies for a while, waiting for the bride to arrive from her house (everyone waits at the house of the groom's family). Then she arrived and was getting prepared by being covered in a white sheet over her head, so you can't see her. I was invited into the room where she's getting ready and went from hanging out and having a good time with all the ladies, to being totally heartbroken, finding her crouched down, sobbing. It was so heartbreaking. Young girl, probably totally scared and probably doesn't even know her husband. Apparently after the fact, some American friends explained that the bride has to be miserable out of respect for her family. Sad she's leaving the family kind of thing, and also to show that she's still "pure." But still. You can imagine some of it is the "Oh I have to cry" sentiment, and then there's so much reality to it that she's young and willl probably no longer get to play a role in decisions about how her life goes. Maybe her husband will be supportive, but more often than not here, the wife is seen as personal property- possession. So it was pretty heartbreaking to see.

After that, she leaves and gets dressed in red and comes back on the shoulders of a griot to enter the huge dancing/singing circle of all the ladies. The ladies obviously have the most fun at weddings. Men are all just sitting around, girls get to sing and dance in a big circle. That was pretty awesome and lightened my mood a bit. Very cool. I took some videos that I'll try to load when I'm on faster internet to show you all.

I have a new Sous- Prefet (local authority) in my town and he's kind of intimidating. He had a town meeting talking about the things he wanted to change, including making a 12th grade in my town. Which would be great news for me, but I worry they won't have the other necessary teachers to prepare the students in all the other necessary subjects, outside of English. We'll see. But everyone in the town seems hopeful with all the things he's talking about changing, so we'll see how it goes.

My PCV group, G16, unfortunately is down three more. They went back to the states and we're all pretty bummed. Boys- miss you already and keep in touch. Guinea, and G16, won't be the same without you <3

Just finished the week of Girls Conference where we had 38 Pullo girls here to have sessions on HIV/AIDS, excision, public speaking, health and nutrition, how to succeed at school, and the importance of girls getting educations. (THANK YOU MONICA, PARENTALS, JOHN H, HONEYGRAM AND POP POP FOR YOUR DONATIONS!!) We had a great time and all the girls did a wonderful job and hopefully learned a lot. It's really good info for them and hopefully made an impact on them so they can aid Guinea and the future of the country. Can't develop a country with half the population uneducated, so the week was really productive and very gratifying. The girls were awesome. Last night, we had an end kind of talent show. But then after everyone kind of broke away for the night, we found all the girls in one of the session areas in a huge circle all just singing and dancing. So we all joined and I have to say, that's probably one of my highlights from my entire peace corps experience so far. It was so awesome and everyone was having such a great time. Very very cool.

That about sums it up. Heading back to my town today to clean my house becaaause my mom gets here next Wednesday!! Very very exciting!! After her jaunt to Guinea, we'll be heading to the Gambia for a week vacation with dad and Jake too, so I'm very very excited!!

Comme d'habitude, love and miss you all. Keep in touch!!

And of course, HAPPY BIRTHDAY JOHN AND BETH! Hope it's wonderful and buy a beer for yourselves and I'll pay you back around Christmas! LOVE YOU BOTH



<3 rb

4 comments:

mom said...

Gettin' ready, gettin' pumped, to carry books, at least. Can't wait, had email from Sharon and she had great trip, so I'll have greater. I'm obnoxious at work, gloating about my two week adventure. Itinerary sounds good, I've already invited the world over the weekend of Jake's "gig" so we can attend that and gather to share stories and pics of my, our, adventure. Love you, love Lisa, love Conor, love the Peppers, love your sister, can't wait to meet them all.
Love you most of them all,
mom

Cat said...

So I sent you a long long facebook message, but I'm so excited you are going to Gambia, didn't realize the fam was going to, you're going to have a blast!! Please please please ask me anything, and you are free to call if you can!! So glad your having fun, weddings and random singing/ dancing are the best!! love love.

Beth said...

Thanks for the bday shout-out! Miss you and can't wait to see you at christmas!

Old Time Tom said...

So thrilled about your joy with girs at conference, so glad you're making a difference, so thrilled about your family going over! So thrilled abut a great grandaughter!Talked to your mom, she is walking on air! So are we, she is looking forward to meeting youg Guinea friends, we too love all of them, andyou guys, Honeg & Popop