Monday, April 20, 2009

Fat Binta came back Fatter Binta

Ahh back in Guinea after a wonderful two week stint in the land of milk and honey. Spent the two weeks with family and friends and ate and drank unbelievable amounts. Also enjoyed some wonderful hot, water-pressured showers, flushing toilets, air conditioning, and being cold. Wonderful.

Flights back went smoothly- heading back to site tomorrow finally. A little nervous since this is the longest I've been away from site. I've already been asked many times what I've brought back for people, so I'm sure I'll have a good 2 weeks or so at site full of the same question. I got to see a lot of other PCVs when I got in before they went back to sites. Excited to see the missionaries in my town and Lisa! She's coming to visit Wednesday, if all goes as planned.

Home was wonderful- I think it's probably harder for you guys as I left, because at least I know I have my other Peace Corps family and friends welcoming me back into Guinea. The volunteers that went to Sierra Leone said they had a wonderful time, and despite awful civil war in the past- SL is surprisingly way more developed than Guinea. I wonder what Guinea has missed out on that leaves it in its current state?

Conor had a friend visiting from the states (nudge nudge wink wink you all should be planning your next trip), so we went to the islands off the coast of Conakry yesterday- paradise. Very beautiful, pretty big waves (in which I already lost my sunglasses... oh well), and hot sun. A little overwhelming when you get to the port to get your dinky wooden little boat- two workers on each boat: one to "steer" and one to bail out water periodically through the trip across to the island. We arrived and returned without big problems tho, so no worries! And a little overwhelming once arriving on the island as everyone there wants to show you where to sit or eat and sell you all sorts of things. But, once we were left alone, it was a wonderful relaxing day.

Welp, I guess that's about it. So great to see and/or talk to all of you stateside- plan again either for your trip here, or to see me come Christmas time stateside again.

Love you all! Keep in touch <3

2 comments:

Old Time Tom said...

Good to know you were welcomed and had good trip back. We were relieved to see Fat Binta still trim and terrific, we reaffirm our appreciation for hot showers and flushies, and rejoiced in the visit of our favorite grandaughter and the gifts. Thanks, pOPOP

mom said...

You know, we always miss you, but Allie and Jake brought the cool feeling back to us at their wedding, inviting us, seating us with perfect Pittsburgh and fun connections, and Alice, of course. Great time, great tribute to you as a friend, you are LOVED!!!
mostly by us,
love, mom and dad I speak for him, too.